In a short time, our class will be starting their state required assessment in reading and math. The tests will be given the second (reading on 9th and 10th) and fourth week (math on 25th and 26th) of April. Both are multiple-choice tests that will be completed on the computers over the course of a few days.
The format of the test is the same as last year. In order to practice navigating around the computer tool and to practice 3rd grade level content and strategies listed below, you may access the practice tests in the following way:
- Go to www.oaks.k12.or.us
- Click “students”, then “practice test”
- Login as guest in grade 3
- Choose "reading" or "math"
Please note, you may need to download the free browser, Firefox, from www.mozilla.org
We strongly encourage parents to sit with their children during the practice test as a confidence building measure and as a way to reinforce these test-taking strategies:
- Pre-read the passage (scan, titles, headers, captions, etc.) and then the questions and answers.
- Read/Reread the passage carefully to completely understand it
- Identify the question type:
- vocabulary, understanding, interpretation, read to perform a task, +/-, < >, measurement, data analysis $, time, geometry, fractions etc.
- Eliminate answers you know to be incorrect
- Answer the question and determine the exact spot(s) in the passage where you can support your answer (reading).
- Double check your thinking (use a calculator or Conversion Table/Formula Sheet if applicable)
And, here are three proven tips for maximizing success on tests:
- Have a positive attitude and best effort.
- Get plenty of sleep
- Eat a good breakfast and lunch
If you are interested in the detailed test specifications, you may find them under "Reading and Literature, 3rd Grade" and "Math Knowledge and Skills, 3rd Grade" here: http://www.ode.state.or.us/search/page/?id=496
Thank you so much for your continued support and dedication to your child’s learning and success.